Sunday, March 1, 2015

WHEN HOPE IS BROKEN, THE SOUL IS DISQUIETED by Mettabel Okulaja

I woke up one morning in a foul mood. One of my brothers and my mom, who unfortunately had called me during this time, got the brunt of my displeasure. I didn't quite understand why I was so, but After I had done a little bit of soul-searching, I realized the reason I was feeling the way I was feeling - My hope was broken!



WHEN HOPE IS BROKEN, THE SOUL IS DISQUIETED


Yes! My hope regarding a particular thing that I had set my hopes on wounded and broken, causing a rip in my soul with the hemorrhage that ensued, causing quite a bit of disquiet within me.



At the risk of sounding gory, when a freshly inflicted wound bleeds, it soaks into anything that comes into contact with it, and until the hemorrhage is stayed the seepage continues.



So what stays the hemorrhage? It is the application of firm pressure from without, it is healing of the wound; IT IS THE RESTORATION OF HOPE! And where can that hope be regained? It can only be restored in the presence of the Lord.



David faced a similar situation. God had given him a promise. But rather than seeing the realization of what God had said to him in the secret place, come to pass, he was instead faced with exile, ridicule, and delay of the fulfillment of his dreams.



His hope in God was broken...
What did he do?

David turned to the giver of the promise:

Psalms 42:4

"When I remember these things, I pour out my soul within me."



David cried out to God and brought to his remembrance what the Lord had said, and thus encouraged himself in the Lord:


Psalms 42:11

Why are you cast down, O my soul?

         And why are you disquieted within me?

         Hope in God;

         For I shall yet praise Him,

         The help of my countenance and my God.



So as I meditate today, this is what I will do:


I will yet hope in Him for I would have lost hope if I had not believed to see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Or as the NIV version puts it, I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. (Psalm 27:13).



Are you hemorrhaging today? PUT YOUR HOPE IN GOD!

Remember that He has come to bind up the brokenhearted, and we do not have to bleed any longer because He has already shed his blood for us.


Be encouraged. Hope in God!


For you will yet see the realization and the fulfillment of all your heart's desires.

 Amen.

Psalm 42

To the Chief Musician. A Contemplation of the sons of Korah.


 1 As the deer pants for the water brooks,

         So pants my soul for You, O God.

 2 My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.

         When shall I come and appear before God?[b]



 3 My tears have been my food day and night,

         While they continually say to me,

         “Where is your God?”



 4 When I remember these things,

         I pour out my soul within me.

         For I used to go with the multitude;

         I went with them to the house of God,

         With the voice of joy and praise,

         With a multitude that kept a pilgrim feast.



5 Why are you cast down, O my soul?

         And why are you disquieted within me?

         Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him

         For the help of His countenance.[c]



 6 O my God,[d] my soul is cast down within me;

         Therefore I will remember You from the land of the Jordan,

         And from the heights of Hermon,

         From the Hill Mizar.

 7 Deep calls unto deep at the noise of Your waterfalls;

         All Your waves and billows have gone over me.

 8 The LORD will command His lovingkindness in the daytime,

         And in the night His song shall be with me—

         A prayer to the God of my life.



 9 I will say to God my Rock,

         “Why have You forgotten me?

         Why do I go mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?”

 10 As with a breaking of my bones,

         My enemies reproach me,

         While they say to me all day long,

         “Where is your God?”



  11 Why are you cast down, O my soul?

         And why are you disquieted within me?

         Hope in God;

         For I shall yet praise Him,

         The help of my countenance and my God.



Yes! He is our God!


Mettabel.

No comments:

Post a Comment